Monday, October 20, 2008

Sunday Setlist for October 19, 2008

You are holy (Prince of Peace)  E

a great opener to bring us face to face with God's great wisdom and mercy

SET: 

My hope is built  E

We had the guitar lead today on every song -- we've always been a piano-led church, so this was a first. The piano was only for decoration, harmonic support.  Hence I chose songs that the congregation knows really well.  I wanted the transitions to feel natural -- to keep the flow smooth

We are the body of Christ  E/F  

Ordinarily I wouldn't program this song so early in the set -- but we kept the tempo brighter than normal (same beat/groove as "my hope is built"). The pastor continued his exposition of James, 4:11-12. It speaks to how we speak about each other, to be reminded that we are, in fact, brothers and sisters, one body. Hence the song.

Modulations can be tricky -- I had the piano sit on the E chord, than a C chord (and the guitar had time to move his capo). The pickup is SO (solfegge), so key change was smooth.

O for a thousand  F/G  

Wesley wrote this as a testimony to God's grace in his own life -- so the entire 19 stanzas explain God's conquering his soul. We sang vv. 1,2,3,12,8. "Glory to God, and praise and love be ever, ever given by saints below and saints above, the church in earth and heaven" That kind of song is a natural lead-in for us to:

How great is our God  G  

What a wonderful song. You know it ministers to people when you hear them say they find themselves singing while they walk down the aisle at Walmart. (That's probably not the deepest analysis I should give, but you get the idea.)

B/4 the Sermon: 

My Jesus I love Thee E

We combined this with the chorus of "The Mystery of the Cross" (Sovereign Grace Praise). It had a real cross-centered focus while having an intimate feel.  

What a privilege to point people to the cross! 

In the evening...

We went retro, using piano only and hymnal. It was a baptismal service (a wonderful time of rehearsing God's amazing grace). So we only sang 3 hymns at various points in the service: "Come you who bow to sovereign grace," "What ye ask me is my prize," and "Amazing Grace." 

This post is a part of Sunday Setlists hosted by FredMcKinnon.com


.


2 comments:

  1. hi dave,
    it would help me if you could possibly also post along with the title of each song who did that particular arrangement or what cd it's from.
    also, do you have a list of all hymns/songs you choose from?
    thanks for this great resource.
    susan in roanoke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue,
    I'll try to do better! - at least to mention the author/composer. Some of the songs I'm not sure what CD it came from. Do you have the Sovereign Grace song books? They have 3 of them now - and are invaluable. The rest come from various sources -- and almost all can be found on the CCLI site.
    About the list of songs -- I have a spreadsheet I work from -- ever evolving as we learn new songs. I'll see if I can send a copy to you. Because of Mercy...

    ReplyDelete