Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Old hymn well worth learning

from Joseph Kent, 1803. He had Psalm 139:17 at the top of it, "How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them!" See Gadsby, #732. I've updated the language.

1. Indulgent God, how kind
are all your ways to me,
whose dark benighted mind
'gainst you was enmity;
yet now, subdued by sovereign grace,
my spirit longs for your embrace!


2. How precious are your thoughts,
which o'er my heart have rolled!
They swell beyond my faults.
and captivate my soul;
how great their sum, how high they rise,
can ne'er be known beneath the skies.

3. Preserved in Jesus when
my feet made haste to hell;
and there should I have gone.
but you do all things well;
your love was great, your mercy free,
which from the pit delivered me.

4. A monument of grace,
a sinner saved by blood;
the streams of love I trace
up to the fountain, God;
and in his wondrous mercy see,
eternal thoughts of love to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment