Monday, January 19, 2009

Setlist for January 18, 2009

Morning Worship
PT continued preaching through James: 5:13-16a, on prayer. We wrapped the musical theme, Scripture and prayer around God as the Everlasting One. We can trust him alone....

Opening Song
Psalm 90 (Our God our help / tune: st. anne)  C
Set
Psalm 136 (Give to our God immortal praise / tune: duke street)  C/D
Everlasting God   A
Be unto your name   Bb/C
Amazing Grace--my chains are gone   D
B/4 sermon
Christ of all my hopes the ground (tune: hendon)   Eb/E

The evening was full of unusual events -- commissioning a church planter, electing 4 more deacons, etc. So to get done in a timely manner, we truncated the singing. Only 2 hymns, only piano accomp., and we used a hymnal. Felt so 20th century -- guess we have the liberty of going retro!

Glorious things of thee D
How sweet and awful C/Db/D


This post is a part of Sunday Setlists hosted by FredMcKinnon.com

5 comments:

  1. I understand you not having sympathy for anonymous writers. But it really wouldn't be a good idea for me to put my name down at this point. Suffice it to say, I've attended HBC in the past and I am currently acquainted with people in your church who struggle with the current trends in your worship. I was just curious as to what your response would be to someone who questioned what happened--why the change? I appreciate your detailed answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Perhaps at some point we can interact on principles and application. By the way, the 'current trends in our worship' come under the authority of the elders.

    Peace,
    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Everlasting God" is a great song. It's what I thought of when I read your intro.

    If you want to go REALLY retro, make sure the piano is a bit out of tune!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Michael "Everlasting God" is a great song and a great fit for your service.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael,
    The piano is a bit out of tune! :) But not on purpose... :) It just needs a little tune-up--it's not bad enough for most people to notice... just when we're tuning other instruments. :) Not trying to be retro. ;)

    ReplyDelete