Monday, November 17, 2008

Sunday Setlist for November 16, 2008

We sang much yesterday. In the morning Pastor Ted continued his exposition of James – 5:1-6, on rebuking the wicked rich who oppress the righteous. I went for the larger context where the apostle counsels us (v.7) to be patient until the coming of the Lord. So the music theme—patience under trial.

We had a large group of musicians today. A new projectionist (yeah! I was doing it till now.), violin, guitar, piano, synth, djembe, vocalists.

G         O worship the King

            We sing b/4 the call to worship. This hymn with updated language we sang to the classic tune (hanover).

            The Set:

E          Your grace is enough

E/F      Mighty God while angels bless you

Updated language, tune: ode to joy

F          My faith has found a resting place

Then I had one of our seminary students lead us in a prayer from The Valley of Vision. These are wonderful helps in worship – I update the language, put them in plural language (“we,” not “me”), etc. Kind of the NIV approach. P. 190, “The Infinite and the Finite.” See my version here.

Db       This is my Father's world

            Heed the last stanza – “This is my Father’s world, the battle is not done, Jesus who died shall be satisfied, and earth and heav’n be one.”

Db/D   Lord, be glorified

Before the sermon

F          The sands of time are sinking

            Sang this with only violin and organ (on the synth).

 

In the evening Pastor Rich preached Jude, vv.20-21, keeping yourselves in the love of God (i.e., in a frame where you love God more and more)

F/G      Praise him! Praise him!

            Opening song

            1st Set

E/F      How firm a foundation (tune: foundation)

F          Your great name we praise

            Kauflin version of “Immortal, invisible”

Eb       Psalm 27 (tune: federal street)

            That is, Anne Steele’s meditation on psalm 27, at least. See here for the text.

Eb       Come to the waters

            From Dr. Jim Boice. I cannot now go into the story behind these songs (he wrote 12), or my connection to them, him. Check out Tenth Pres in Philly. “Hymns for a Modern Reformation.” These hymns are gold. This was our first time with this precious song. I’ve posted the words here.

    2nd Set

Eb/E    Lo! He comes (tune: coronae)

            With updated language

E/F      There is a Higher throne / Getty

     After the sermon

F          I love you, Lord

This post is a part of Sunday Setlists hosted byFredMcKinnon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment