Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Sunday Setlist November 9, 2008

"Swift shall pass thy pilgrim days...."
Pastor Ted continued his exposition of James, finishing ch.4 (rebuking the arrogance of boasting). Having already sung good hymns last week for that text (there was a last-minute change in sermon plan), it took a bit to come up with a central idea for the singing this week. The idea that we are pilgrims emerged and shaped the music. We were sort of "hymny" (is that a word?) this morning. 

Opening Song
God himself is with us / G with We exalt thee / C in an A-B-A form. 

Set
I sing the mighty pow'r of God / A (tune: ellacombe)
Blessed be your name / A (redman) [fun transition to the next song, since it ends on the IV]
Glorious and Mighty / Bb (sovereign grace)
--time of praying --
Father, I know that all my life / D (tune: morwellham)

B4 Sermon
Jesus I my cross have taken / F-G (tune: beecher)

In the evening the sermon came from Gal 1:4, on the self-giving of Christ on the cross.
1st Set
Bb Let us love and sing and wonder (tune: all saints old)
Eb/F To the praise (D A Carson's text on Eph 1)
F Lord, I lift your name
F How deep the father's love (Getty)

2nd Set
We have Matthew Smith and Indelible Grace coming here this Wednesday! So we had to sing a couple of their songs, of course.
G Your mercy, my God
A God be merciful to me (ps 51)

This post is a part of Sunday Setlists hosted byFredMcKinnon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment