Tuesday, March 3, 2009

On our face before God

Part 3 to the previous post, on removing distractions in worship. This time, an extended quote. 

"It's so important to me that my church family meet with God and worship Him. I work all week to help enable that....

It's terrifying to face a congregation who probably has not thought much about worship yet and know it's your job to help them experience God. I am humbled every single week. If I could, I would lead worship laying on my face because I am so amazed that for some reason I am leading the church to worship Almighty God. That is holy ground to me. Worship leaders have everything they do become for public consumption and comparison and that is so very hard - and many times heartbreaking. (If I had read most of these comments as a younger worship leader I would have been tempted to quit - I could never ever live up to your expectations of me) The bottom line for me is that I want to worship together. I will make mistakes. I will pick songs that annoy you. I will talk too long sometime (did you listen? perhaps God was speaking to you?). I will not look cool and yes, over and over again no matter how hard I try, I will forget the words. I'll be leading the band, paying attention to sound, seeing people in the congregation reading their bulletins and making faces, try to stay worshipful, remember the words, and I will lose my train of thought. I will desperately want you to worship with me, not judge me or even "conmsume" in the worship service, not just watch. Whether we sing a hymn, or the newest worship song, I will want us to encounter God together.

When we come to worship we all share in a mutual responsibility. Do you know what I've observed after standing on the stage leading others for more than 22 years? We have the best worship when the church worships. Period. Perfection, new songs, great worship leader - all of these are extras. When we are focused passionately on God, we have great worship. One guitar or a full band, this is the recipe.

I know there are skills needed to lead more effectively. I work on that continually. PRAY for your worship leader!

No comments:

Post a Comment