Monday, March 23, 2009

Divine Protection

A wonderful hymn from Toplady. See it in Gadsby #345, though he leaves off the middle stanza. This is an updated version as found in Praise! hymnal. We sing it to CONTRAST - the tune for John Newton's "How tedious and tastless the hours." See the 1956 Baptist Hymnal. We also use this tune for another Toplady, "A debtor to mercy alone." 

Divine Protection
A sovereign pro
tector I have 

unseen yet forever at hand
unchangeably faithful to save 
almighty to rule and command
He smiles and my comforts abound 
his grace as the dew shall descend
and walls of salvation surround 
the soul he delights to defend

Inspirer and hearer of prayer 
both leading and guarding your sheep
I place in your covenant care 
my life, both awake and asleep
If you are my shield and my sun 
the night is no darkness to me
for, fast as my moments roll on 
so nearer to you I shall be

Creator and ground of my hope 
to your name alone I shall bow
a new 'Ebenezer' set up 
to show 'God has helped us till now'
I think on the years that are past 
when all my defense you have proved
nor will you relinquish at last 
a sinner so blessed and so loved

No comments:

Post a Comment