Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Precious communion hymn


Christ for us. From Horatius Bonar, in a collection he entitled, "Communion Hymns" (1881). I set it to the tune for "before the throne." So I take eight original stanzas and make them four, repeating the last line. You may find a different tune. Here it is as Bonar penned it. I've also added an historical note after the hymn.

Precious words. Even more precious the Savior who so freely gave himself for us.


Christ for us

On merit not my own I stand
on doings which I have not done
merit beyond what I can claim
doings more perfect than my own

Upon a life I have not lived
upon a death I did not die
another's life, another's death
I stake my whole eternity

Not on the tears which I have shed;
not on the sorrows I have known,
another's tears, another's griefs,
on them I rest, on them alone

Jesus, O Son of God, I build
on what your cross has done for me;
there both my death and life I read
my guilt, my pardon there I see

Lord, I believe; oh deal with me
as one who has your word believed;
I take the gift, Lord look on me
as one who has your gift received

I taste the love the gift contains
I clasp the pardon which it brings
and pass up to the living source
above, whence all this fullness springs

Here at your feast I grasp the pledge
which life eternal to me seals,
here in the bread and wine I read
the grace and peace your death reveals

O fullness of the eternal grace
O wonders past all wondering!
Here in the hall of love and song
we sing the praises of our King

Horatius Bonar, 1881 Communion Hymns


Bonar's son, H. N. Bonar, wrote a book, Hymns by Horatius Bonar (1904), in which he includes this note: 

"[In 1881] a little collection of thirty Communion Hymns was issued a few of which had already appeared in previous volumes Most of these hymns were known to my father's own congregation already It was his custom at the close of every Communion service to read aloud some hymn or poem bearing on the subject which had been the theme of the sermon and table addresses This was often selected from some old hymn book sometimes it was a translation from the German but many a time it was specially written by himself for the occasion In this little collection appears that perfect exposition of the author's standpoint before God: ON MERIT NOT MY OWN I STAND"

2 comments:

  1. Great post about chronic about work I Get more help from your post I found so many blogs related to this But do not get that much information also I found some interesting information about free nintendo eshop codes no survey 2019

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your content helped me a lot to take my doubts, amazing content, thank you very much for sharing.
    Take a tour to free itunes gift card codes no human verification 2019

    ReplyDelete