Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Psalm singing / third of several

I've started by listing reasons why I have not seriously pursued intentional and regular psalm-singing here at HBC. We often sing a psalm in our gatherings -- but that's not quite the same thing.

Two reasons so far: (1) Goofy English in many psalters (what I call "psalter syntax") and (2) Expired Hymn Tunes. Today my third (and final) reason.

3. Figuring out how to be reformed and relevant to our generation. 


I love John Calvin; I love the puritans; B. B. Warfield was a great help to me in early days in defining a coherent theological position. (That's his likeness on the left.) I do know that being reformed (a theocentric world-view) is the most relevant pou sto, place to stand, that we could have. My point is that the 20th century Reformed church culture -- in fighting battles on many theological fronts -- has been slow generally, I think, to think through how we might engage our culture well. Often (not always), for instance, it is the Reformed community most eager to bash in "contemporary praise" as nothing but ditties and man-centered doggerel.


This has been the largest hindrance (in my own mind, at least) to any serious attempt at making psalm-singing an intentional part of each our gatherings. We've spent several years at HBC trying to work out our understanding of worship, of music styles, and related concerns -- so as to be as indigenous as we can be. We are a confessional (i.e., Reformed) Baptist church trying to find our way in a brave, new world. We want to move cautiously; but we want to move according to all that Scripture commands us (see our Principles of Worship) and according to the best wisdom we can follow. (FWIW, I think the 1689 calls on us to use both. There shouldn't be any conflict.)

While we have a ways to go, I think we're fairly clear on our direction. We are a hymn-loving church that embraces an eclectic mix of different kinds of music in public worship. We sing German chorales and Chris Tomlin. Again, we work hard to be "rooted and relevant." And our own musical style might be best described as "eclectic (or if you prefer, blended) piano-driven." 

Thing is, I haven't found regular psalm-singing anywhere (yet) in the contemporary praise world. Churches sing songs based on the psalms (see Psalms from sovereign grace -- a wonderful set of songs for the church). And occasionally entire psalms are set to music (see Stuart Townend/Aaron Keyes setting of Ps 62). So there are hints of how it might look. But I haven't yet found the church that wants to sing psalms regularly, in some kind of contemporary manner. (BTW, if you can connect me to one, please do!)

I think it’s time to figure it out (while not losing anything else we do).

Next time: Eight reasons why Christ’s gathered congregation should sing psalms intentionally, regularly, and methodically.

No comments:

Post a Comment