Monday, May 18, 2009

Psalm singing / sixth of several


The third of eight reasons why we should sing the psalms regularly, intentionally and methodically. I'm taking the liberty of quoting directly from Joe Holland (a PCA church-planting pastor in Virginia). See his discussion here.


1. When you sing psalms, you literally sing the Bible.

2. When you sing the psalms you interact with a wealth of theology.

3. When you sing the psalms you are memorizing Scripture.


An important part of Christian maturity is the ability to recall passages of Scripture at need. Educational circles have long advocated the use of music to aid memorization. Music has a way of impressing truth into the mind in ways that reading alone cannot. This is no accident; it is the providential hand of our Creator God. He wants you to memorize his word and has provided a mnemonic for easy memory--the Psalter as Scripture set to music.

6 comments:

  1. So what about Christian rock? What about rap? As long as the lyrics are good, why not? I wish we had a praise band myself and I think that is the attraction to some other churches and one especially I am thinking of where they teach similar truth but they also have a more upbeat time of worship. I just want to be more "free" in worship like they are in other places who are starting to look more and more appealing. Why can't we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm listening! You raise sound questions. I promise not to let them go unprocessed. Now --- if you want to take your help 'to the next level,' talk to me in person. I welcome it. Thanks for the encouragement.
    Because of Mercy,
    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I took the comment on the picture above (about a rock concert) as a joke. A dry wit, and not a scathing critique of rock music.
    That's how I meant it, at least. (Remember, I listen to Hillsong, too.)
    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking for a church in Owensboro with the doctrine of a good solid Reformed church but with the worship style of say--River City Church. For those reading this blog not in Owensboro and not familiar with that type of worship, I would just say think more contemporary, more upbeat, more "hip", less archaic. that's probably a lousy definition but I'll know what I am looking for when I find it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seeker Larry,

    I know what you're looking for. Whenever our family goes on vacation we look for a sovereign grace/covenant life church (think CJ Mahaney, Kauflin) -- they come close to this (though their view on the gifts does vary from ours). From what I've seen, such congregations are best started that way. It's tough to take an existing church (i.e., with lots of 'this is how we've done it before') and make such a shift. Like it or not, people choose a church, in no small part, because they like the culture of the place (and that includes its music).

    Having established a church with a particular bent, it's not easy to move it. Such efforts must be joined to careful shepherd-work: slow, patient teaching. We join ourselves to a church, of course, for more than its culture and style. HBC is a safe place for my soul. I'm committed to remain here and see things move (musically) as far as I can usefully help.

    I do think we ought to become significantly more culturally-relevant, and pray that we do.

    Peace upon you, brother.
    David

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great comment brother Dave.

    ReplyDelete